A Filipino Treat!
Kristine helped the individuals at the day program make Maja Blanca dessert which is a Filipino specialty. Bradley Burgardt, Trevor, Helen, Bradley Bews, Brooke, Margaret, and Irene all pitched in to help with measuring, stirring, cooking, and layering the ingredients to create this dish. There were many steps and patience was required as they cooked and stirred until it thickened and then waited until the next day to try it!
Here is the recipe if you want to try it too!
Maja Blanca Dessert (Coconut Milk Corn Pudding)
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar/sweetener
- 1 cup fresh or evaporated milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen is fine)
- In the first bowl mix sugar and coconut milk until well combined.
- In the second bowl, mix cornstarch with water and milk and whisk until the cornstarch is incorporated.
- Put the coconut milk and sugar in a pot with the corn kernels and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the cornstarch mixture to the pot and stir continuously until mixture thickens.
- Pour the thickened mixture into a baking dish and flatten the top. Garnish with shredded cheese.
- Chill in fridge for a few hours or overnight.